I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Mixed media works

Untitled work from 2006 - 2007 
Most of my work, the best stuff, is made from the scraps of the scraps in my studios.   Most good works are made of pieces of pieces, some new,  some decades old, synthesized together.

"Wind", 1991 - 2005, cast iron and copper
 The leg has been in several different 'finished' sculptures in the past.   I think this is the final form.

"Shimada" 2005, bronze 
The head is the sole surviving part of a failed casting of a full seated figure, which sat in the corner of the studio for months if not years.