I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

"Oshiri Hibachi" & "Sectional Buddha"


I cast bronze and iron every year or two or three, when I have gathered enough stuff and time to pull off a big pour, always a seriously home grown affair, furnaces made from drum cans and clay, fired with kerosene, and so on - I get real down home about it.    These are castings from my wife Yukiko, as is the iron figure above.   For me the alchemy of taking old bath tubs, piles of scrap copper, clay, coke, vacuum cleaners, etc., and converting it all into sculpture is a truly magical experience, magical save that it is such HARD work!