I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Monday, June 27, 2011

ISIS, in wood and in bronze


                               Isis, 1998, wood, copper sheet, rawhide, with limestone base.
                                     Michel Corporate Collection, Kita-Kyushu, Japan

  Last sculpture I made in Taos, New Mexico, and nearly the last of this series  of lifesize figures in mixed media (a few others were made as commissions).



Same sculpture in cast bronze at Shidoni in 2000 - 2001, my version anyway, and in my personal pile.  I figure let metal be metal, keep it simple and direct.   I add that I usually cast my work myself, but am still really impressed with the technical perfection of Shidoni.



This is the version in Shidoni Corporate Collection (which I yet hope they sell and pay me), in which their patina mimics the original wood version well.   But wood and bronze should age and get a real patinas on their own, and there is no reason to make the bronze look like the wood.   I think the marvelous craftsmen at  Shidoni missed that.