I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Alex and summer efforts

This is an email I sent to my old pal Lon Anthony yesterday.   It sums up what I am doing these days.


"Dear Lon,

I paint, if that's what you would call it, daily as it is too hot to make sculpture, given the money involved.   So I paint, rarely using a brush other than to slush stuff around - trowels, brayers, buckets are more my thing.  This particular work, if that's what you'ld call it, is bentonite/water slurry mixed with latex paint for a ground (really thick at the bottom), followed by spar varnish (by the quart) mixed with phlatho, cerulean, and prussian blues.   I hope to get about 1/2 inch of glaze.    Might include some sheets of plexiglass in there just for bulk.    I am looking for the sort of deep  transparency of water and the roughness of earth like you get in the keys.
 I expect to use chrome paint near the horizon, and have a minimal landscape, pale turnesque sky up top later on in the week.   I try to start three canvasses a week.


Alex"

I tend to paint flat, wet, and thick, troweling and pouring, seeing what sort of action I can get out of paint as paint itself.   My works are somewhat pictorial, sea scapes I suppose, but that is really just a format, and not important in itself.    Note my trusty Morris Traveller in the background, a source of daily inspiration.  

I think this is a good example of what I am going for, maybe Alberto Burri meets Mark Rothko, Clifford Still and Barnet Newman at the beach?