I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Other Recent Paintings, all along the same lines

These painting are elsewhere on this blog, but I put them here as well, as they are the sort of thing I am doing now, this summer.    I usually make sculpture year around, but it is so hot right now that (A) real work is no fun, and (B) I can use the sun's heat to dry the oil really fast, getting some really interesting effects - make hay when the sun shines.

As I have said elsewhere as well, I am making "seascapes", but it is just a format, one that allows large areas and simple composition, letting me concentrate of the painterly and color field aspects.   Mostly I am experimenting, seeing what sort of depths, textures, translucencies, etc., I can get out of paint as paint, rather than trying to illustrate anything.   I am going for simple, bold compositions that don't get in the way of the paint itself.   This is very much the "no method, no guru" approach to painting - let it roll and see what happens.
Sailing to  Ehime across the Bungo Kaido, 
oil on panel 24" x 65", 2011
Sea of Japan
oil on panel 24" x 65", 2010-2011