I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Friday, June 17, 2011

A Random Pile of Older Sculpture

I am uploadinging older images from a now abondoned computer.  It is sort of a last ditch attempt to address these old dreams.   Most of them, hell, all of them are long gone, sold, or scrapped, or reconfigured and then sold.   Most of them remained only as a snapshot with a cheap film camera, which was made into a slide, and then scanned, and then, well, left as a minor file on some computer somewhere.   So I now resurrect them, throw a shovelful of dirt on them, and move on.
A portrait of Barbara Wilson, sometime in the late 1980's,   later became 

"Guardian Angel of the Deep South, Land of the Dreamy Dreams", and was often shown that way in the 1990's.
This was her last incarnation, sold to the Nakamura Brace Corporate collection in Japan as 
"Walking Egypt", completed about 2002.  I add that she is 8" taller, and almost completely recarved with a sheet copper dress.   Really not the same work at all.


 This was once a full figure - head, legs, arms of cast iron with a bronze dress.  Kind of corny to tell the truth.  In 1997 she was shipped and sold to a gallery in New Mexico.   Alas, UPS dropped her, smashing her, so the sale was off.   I took the various pieces, and made four separate sculptures from the original.  Made a much better profit, and much better sculptures as well.   You know the old song about the "sow took the measles and she died in the spring"?  "What do you think became of her hide? Very best saddle you ever did ride!"  Sort of like that.   Anyway, the dress alone (above) sold for $10,000.


Oh, look!  There are her hands on that funky copper and cast iron box.   Collection of Margaret DiBlasio, St.Paul, MN
Here is her head and left foot, with copper wire and rawhide, as "Masaai", sold to CBS Corporation through Shidoni Foundry in Santa Fe, about 1998.
And the right leg, well reworked with sheet copper, as "Wind", completed about 2006.  I still have it.



"Legends"  Concrete and Steel, 18' high and 161'  across, was a BIG sculpture at Rhodes college for 20 years or so,  (1978 - 1997?)  demolished to make a parking lot.  Like all young artists I had dreams of making BIG sculptures.  I still dream of it, but architecture works out better.




element 3, about 10' tall

Element # 2, about 14' tall.   I think these three images are all that remain of that Herculean work.









My graduate work was all in stone.  Don't ask me why.   Okay, I really like stone sculptures, particularly my own, simple and abstract and strong, but, LORDY!, what a horrible way to spend your time of day.
I still make stone sculpture and objects, but only as commissions with pay up front.

"Blowing Memphis Through a Horn"  1998, wood, steel and copper.  I say 1998, which is when I made it, but, hell, should have been 1973, has it was a revisit to the very first kinds of sculpture I made as a student - organic, Henry Moore "forms".  I still make them every year, and it remains my favorite kind of sculpture to make or to see.  Collection of Eric Schaumberg, Fort Worth.


"Yutakanohime", city hall in Takicho, Japan, maybe 1990.  This, too, is me revisiting my earliest interest in sculpture.  I add this stands more than eight feet tall, and took a year to carve.   I still make works like these, usually when I am sort of lost, cannot find focus for sculpture: I return to that which inspired me in the first place to recharge my batteries.