I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Some Figurative Works in Bronze, and one in wood and copper

"Bosatsu I"  bronze. lifesize, 2001  
Collection of Lisa Darden, Aiken, SC

I build a pretty good foundry in Japan, building and all tools from scratch.  Although one cannot really put on the label in the gallery "Yeah, I built the foundry, all the tools, and cast this piece by myself in the backyard,"  that is what the piece is about.  There are serious casting flaws, of course.  I like that.


"Sectional Buddha" bronze, lifesize, 2003
Collection of Yukiko Oka

A lot of castings fail, particularly when one casts in as slipshod a manner as I enjoy.  This piece is not a failure, came out just as planned.

"Hippolytta III" wood and copper, lifesize, 1997
Collection of Halliburton Corp.
I made a series of these wood and copper figures in Taos.  It is a favorite format of mine, and I sold all of them.  I liked making them, and the galleries wanted more, but there is a limit as to how often I can repeat an image and stay interested.

"Isis" bronze, lifesize, 2000
Hyuga City Park, Hyuga, Japan
Hyuga International Sculpture Competition, 2003