I am a sculptor by training and predilection. I make sculpture, I draw like a sculptor (3D images, not flat composition), make prints like a sculptor (process process process) and paint like a sculptor (it's all about material). I do a lot of architecture and furniture, which is just useful sculpture. Still, my work is not just sculpture - lots of painting, etching, drawing. At first blush it might seem like a lack of focus. Not so. All my work has the same hand, same taste, same treatment; only the formats vary.

I don't talk much about my work: my work speaks for me.

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

New work, 2012 #3

As usual, as yet untitled, rather Manzu-esque, with a little Modigliani, cast aluminum over walnut.  About 24" tall over all.   This was made while teaching, basically a demonstration piece, both in modeling wax and mold making, as well as a good example of "truth to materials", a principle concern of mine in teaching.

I rarely title anything.  Pieces develop names over time as a matter of convenience, such as, "Hey, get that woman with the spikes in her shoulder."  Someday someone gives a piece a name that sticks, but usually it is not me.   I just make them.